The School of Health and Medical Sciences (SHMS) at Seton Hall University invites applications for a twelve-month faculty position at the rank of Instructor or Assistant Professor in the Department of Physician Assistant (PA) beginning July 1, 2024. The incumbent will serve as one of the Directors of Clinical Education (DCE) for the PA program, support the program assessment efforts in collaboration with the DCE team and program director, and perform other departmental duties, including but not limited to student advising/mentoring, teaching, scholarship, and participation on department, school and university wide committees.
The School of Health and Medical Sciences at Seton Hall University has a significant national presence in health sciences education. The School has assumed a leadership role in offering high quality, innovative programs at the undergraduate, master’s and doctoral levels with a longstanding commitment to interprofessional education (IPE). The School of Health and Medical Sciences offers opportunities for collaborative research, teaching, and grantsmanship across several disciplines.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Close collaboration with Program Director and Clinical Education team in shared responsibilities relevant to all aspects of student clinical experiences.
• Scheduling, maintaining, overseeing, and ensuring adequacy and appropriateness of all clinical courses/supervised clinical practice experiences to guarantee compliance with ARC-PA Standards.
• Assisting with the recruitment and maintenance of clinical sites and preceptors.
• Collaborating with the Program Director and Clinical Education team to maintain and implement an ongoing clinical site monitoring plan to ensure the program has adequate SCPE sites, including in-person and/or virtual site visits.
• Overseeing ongoing assessment and improvement of the program's clinical phase to include evaluation of student performance, preceptor performance, clinical site quality, and curriculum.
• Coordinating monthly end of rotation activities and examinations.
• Teaching, evaluating, and advising students throughout didactic and clinical phases of the program.
• Participating in PA and SHMS DCE Committees.
• Attending and assisting in labs, simulation activities, practical exams, and callback days throughout the program.
• Mentoring student clinical/research projects.
• Assisting with recruitment and selection of applicants for program admission.
• Participating in program self-assessment and document preparation for ARC-PA accreditation.
• Participating on committees at the department, school, and university levels as appointed.
• Engaging in service, community, and campus relations, and scholarly activities appropriate to the role of Director of Clinical Education and PA faculty.
• Participating in department and/or University activities as required, including but not limited to PA student graduation, Open House events, and White Coat ceremonies.
• Performing other duties as requested by the Program Director to support the PA program, the faculty and staff, and the students.
Skills and proficiencies for the position include:
o Strong computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
o Adaptability in learning new software/online platforms.
o Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to build successful relationships with students and faculty.
o Strong interpersonal skills with students, staff, and clinical populations.
o Excellent critical thinking, conflict resolution, and decision-making skills.
o Superior organization skills.
o Ability to confidently interact is a leader, team member, and collaborative contributor with other departments.
o Ability to manage multiple tasks and priorities and successfully meet deadlines.
• Licensure or eligibility for New Jersey licensure as a physician assistant or physician
• NCCPA or ABMS board certification
• 3 or more years of clinical experience
• 1-2 years of physician assistant or medical education experience
• Record of scholarship, academic teaching experience and effectiveness, and essential interprofessional skills.
• Experience in PA/medical education classroom teaching and PA education administration preferred.
• A Doctoral degree is preferred, however, strong applicants with a master’s degree will be considered.
FA01 - Faculty
Physical Demands: General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please include names and emails of three individuals who can provide references
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.