IT Service Desk Specialist
Job no: 493867
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The IT Service Desk Specialist provides the first level of technical support for campus software and hardware (desktop, laptop and associated peripheral devices) in a network environment with approximately 7000 network devices. Limited support is provided for telecommunications issues (phone) and audio-visual equipment. Deliver high quality technical assistance to faculty, staff, administrators and students using PC's for teaching, research, and administration on the South Orange, NJ campus of Seton Hall University and limited support to the Newark Law School. Outstanding technical skills required, including troubleshooting of the various Microsoft operating systems, MAC operating systems, the Microsoft Office Suite, and other University supported software. The IT Service Desk Specialist should be able to troubleshoot mobile devices (iPods, Microsoft surface tablets, iOS, Android & Windows). The Service Desk Specialist will meticulously document problems and solutions using problem tracking software and written communication.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Software and network connectivity support. Service Desk Specialist must be able to analyze, diagnose, and resolve a wide variety of software and network connectivity problems over the phone. This means that S/he must be able to listen, understand and determine what is wrong with the software application, develop an action plan to correct the problem, and guide the user through correcting the problem, and, if necessary, open an incident report and route the service request other appropriate support team(s). In addition, the Service Desk Specialist will provide first level of application specific phone support these applications will be determined each academic year in consultation with the academic deans, department chairs and faculty) The Teaching Learning and Technology Center and Computer Training Center provide backup support to the Service Desk Specialist for discipline specific software programs Eg; (Blackboard)
- Hardware support. Service Desk Specialist must be able to analyze and correct problems regarding peripherals components with various desktop and laptop units (PC and Mac) over the phone. S/he is responsible for entering any and all information regarding a user’s call for hardware assistance is the Service Now (SNOW) tracking ticket system. S/he must be a highly trained individual with the ability to diagnose the problem, develop a solution, and guide the user through the implementation of that solution. If a problem or question can/cannot be resolved over the phone, the Service Desk Specialist must be able to correctly log the service request in the User Support Tracking System (SNOW). The kinds of problems the specialist must be able to handle include (but are not limited to):software errors, memory errors with both laptop and desktop computers, connectivity errors with data jacks, printers, scanners, monitor problems, etc.
- Provide Quality Support Services/Provide Referral Services. In addition to providing phone support for University standard hardware and software, the Service Desk Specialist serves as the primary and first level contact for users seeking technology services. The Service Desk Specialist processes all technology questions and service requests and refer callers to the appropriate resource. The specialist must triage any computer or network problems with the campus network or PC software and work as part of a support team to diagnose and correct such problems. The Service Desk Specialist must maintain detailed documentation as part of the troubleshooting process, and update that documentation as necessary.
- Provide a High Availability Support Environment: must have strong decision making skills. The University has made a major commitment to mobile computing. Part of this commitment is to provide a quality support environment, including remote support. A Service Desk Specialist is required to work for special events eg: Freshman distribution, Pirate Adventure, Student involvement fair on a rotating basis. All Service Desk Specialist will be cross trained to handle responsibilities and functions of other areas in PC Support Services (i.e., installing, configuring, and troubleshooting hardware and software, and support of the public computer labs).
- Training: As needed, the Service Desk Specialist provides training on new and existing products and services offered by the University. This may include creation of technical documents for the training as well as the knowledge base
- Escalations/Operational: Service Desk Specialist reviews and handles the day-to-day escalations within Service Desk.
Additional duties as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- High School Diploma/Vocational or technical training.
- A minimum of 3 years experience in technical support or other related area.
- Must be able to resolve users' hardware, software, and networking problems over the telephone; otherwise must open an incident report and route to the appropriate support team for resolution.
- Must be able to recognize systemic hardware, software, and networking problems and work as part of a support team to resolve those problems.
- Must be able to work without supervision as part of a support team working toward a common goal. Excellent phone skills required.
- Must work well with end users as well as other support teams in the Division of Technology (e.g., the PC Support Specialists, Asset
- Management, Public Labs, Systems Support, Application Support, Telecommunications, etc.).
- Excellent verbal skills.
- Excellent written communication skills required such as ability to write or modify policies & procedures.
- The specialist must have strong analytical skills, good listening and communication skills and the ability to stay calm and patient when interacting with an end user.
- Associate/Bachelors degree in Information Technology or related field.
Licenses and Certificates:
- ITIL Certified a plus.
- HDI - Service Desk Specialist preferred.
- Knowledge of Service Now a plus.
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- This is a Local 153 position; only Local 153 members may apply from 05/23/2019 to 05/30/2019.
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend