Job no: 493825
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
To be the initial point of service for all freshman students in assisting and guiding their adjustment to university life. This position will also provide academic advisement to transfer students during their first 30 credits at Seton Hall. Special attention is given to each student's course registration throughout freshman year along with on going monitoring of academic progress throughout freshman year. "Freshman year" is defined as less than 30 credits. Work all freshman Pirate Adventures (orientations) and assist students with advisement and registration. Instruct 4-5 sections of the Fall semester University Life course which all freshmen must take and contribute to the creation of the 14 week course curriculum. Instruction of this course is included in the mentor's base pay. Be available for mentoring, academic advisement and guidance throughout the freshman year and maintain a working knowledge of other resources on campus for referrals. Supervise 4-5 Peer Advisers. Serve on university committees as assigned by supervisor or as needed by position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Is a resource for all freshman students to advise, mentor and refer when needed. To teach 4-5 sections of University Life in the fall and contribute to the curriculum development of the University Life course. To maintain grades and records of all academic meetings with students. To remain current with all university major curricula. To understand and implement FERPA regulations and guidelines. Keep office hours.
- Prepares all students for their course registration by having a working knowledge of all majors in all schools at the university. Will be well versed in all college and major requirements, pre-requisites, CORE proficiencies, college cores, GPA requirements and entrance requirements to all colleges and majors. To maintain documentation utilizing available technology such as SSC COMPASS, COGNOS, Banner and Blackboard to support all work with students.
- Identifies resources for all freshmen and effectively connects students to services as needed. Consistently mentors students through their achievement of 30 credits with a working knowledge of satisfactory progress and GPA requirements for all majors and schools within the university.
- To assist the Sophomore Center/Pre-major advising office with the advisement of students who have attained over 30 credits and who are not yet declared or who are transitioning to a new major. To assist Sophomore Center adviser with events and programs directed at second year students to support their integration into the campus community.
- To follow up with instructors and students regarding Early Alerts and to designate resources for students to improve academically, socially and emotionally. To refer students appropriately as indicated by Early Alert concerns.
- To complete any additional duties assigned by the Vice President of Student Services or the Dean of Freshman Studies. This will immediately include mastery of the Student Success Collaborative COMPASS program (a data driven advising program), and presenting at all Open Houses, Previews and other events for prospective students.
- Master's Degree
- 1 - 3 years experience
- General Office Environment
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend