Assistant/Associate Dean, Student Affairs and Wellbeing
Job no: 493652
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: Interprofessional Health Sciences
A new medical school potentially offers a greater range of opportunities but also of uncertainties and challenges than does an established school. The Assistant/Associate Dean for Student for Student Affairs and Welfare is responsible for assuring the adequacy of resources and structures devoted to maximizing student growth, development, safety and success academically, personally and professionally from time of acceptance through and after graduation from medical school. This position designs, modifies and/or oversees the structures and policies established to achieve support student success in all of these realms and monitors and tracks student outcomes to generate data to be used to proactively change support programs as needed. This individual is responsible for soliciting and incorporating student input into assessment and programming activities.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for oversight of the following functions and services of the SOM: Academic Support and Student Success Services including: Advising and the Individualized Learning Plan (each student's customized academic and career planning guide involves a minimum of 12- 15 individualized meeting with each student, referral and follow-up for needed services and educational experience and development of Phase 3 plan);
- Careers in Medicine Curriculum (adapt and implement national curriculum to expose and assist with specialty selection from the 120 currently recognized medical specialties), Financial Services (counseling, education and scholarships); Mentorship program (oversite of required and optional physician mentoring program including recruitment and training of physicians, documentation of service and evaluation of the program); Student Life and Student Groups (oversite, funding and administrative support to service, interest and specialty interest student groups);
- Transitions Educational Programs (educational series designed to best prepare students and make them as successful as possible in their professional development as physicians from transition to medical school, through the matching process and entry into GME); Ensures Student Compliance with all health, immunization, criminal background checks, drug screenings, academic, financial and professional responsibilities to be a student in good standing and participate in clinical training settings; Wellbeing Events and Services
- Responsible for coordination and serving as a liaison with SHU and HMH departments and personal for the following functions: Bursar’s Office; Counselling and Psychological Services, Disability Services, Financial Services (loan packaging), Health Services, and records and registration; In collaboration with the other Associate deans and under the direction of the dean for admissions, serves as a member of the admissions committee, assists and participates in admission and pipeline events.
- Assists with flexible staffing to augment the admissions department during the recruitment season. Establish, oversee and evaluate for effectiveness of the above services.
- Serves as a member of the Dean’s Cabinet and assists with other duties as assigned
- Masters degree- Field of Study: educational psychology, cognitive psychology, or related.
- Eight or more years as an experienced teacher, researcher and/or administrator with experience working in a medical school.
- Experience with accrediting essential. Prior experience working with large numbers of junior trainees essential.
- Doctoral degree Field of Study: educational psychology, cognitive psychology, or related or two or more master level degrees in relevant fields
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Note: These positions will require significant travel throughout the Hackensack Meridian Health network, and may involve a primary office location either at Hackensack University Medical Center or Jersey Shore University Medical Center.
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
- Previous applicants need not apply.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend