Job no: 493178
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange, Interprofessional Health Sciences
The newly established Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine invites applications for an open rank position in the Department of Medical Sciences and the relevant clinical department, as appropriate, with a content focus on bioethics. The individual should hold a doctoral degree in bioethics or a medical degree with additional training in bioethics, including master or doctoral training. In unusual circumstances, the individual may have doctoral degree in a different field (for example, biology, theology, sociology, anthropology) but experience (five or more years) as a bioethicist may substitute for an advanced degree therein.
Faculty appointment will be made at the appropriate level (assistant, associate, full) and clinical department based on the candidate’s previous experience, training, and practice.
The successful faculty member will participate in the planning and implementation of the School of Medicine’s medical education program – an integrated curriculum incorporating content from the Biomedical, Behavioral, Social, and Health Systems sciences and the role of bioethics therein. This faculty position will be critical in linking the school’s vision and mission to the educational program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- A very robust and current knowledge of the Catholic moral tradition, including Catholic bioethics, clinical ethics, and organizational ethics
- Expertise in and commitment to following the Ethical and Religious Directives for Catholic Health Care Services (USCCB)
- A commitment to Catholic health care ministry, to the work of health care, and to the medical profession
- A commitment and adherence to the mission and values of Seton Hall University and to servant leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to understand, communicate, and apply the Catholic Church’s teaching and moral principles to medical, social, and management issues
- Familiarity with ethics committees (types, composition, and functioning), and the process of clinical consultation
- Familiarity with health care law, especially the classic cases
- Demonstrated ability to teach, present, and write clearly and effectively; knowledge of and ability to employ adult learning models
- Demonstrated ability to develop educational programs and resources
- A firm commitment to remaining current in bioethics generally, and Catholic bioethics in particular
Ph.D. or equivalent in one or more of the following:
- Catholic theology/moral theology, with an expertise in health care ethics/bioethics
- Health care ethics/bioethics, with a master’s degree in Catholic theology
- Related field with master’s level work in health care ethics/bioethics and in Catholic theology
- An MD or a JD, with master s level work in health care ethics/bioethics and in theology, particularly Catholic moral theology
- Experience within a Catholic health care institution or system
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend