Environmental Health & Safety Administrator
Job no: 493078
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
Responsible for the development and implementation of all health and safety programs in the College of Arts and Sciences which ensure all student and university employees' safety at work and the use of proper safeguards. The EHSA also oversees compliance with all environmental standards and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Laboratory Environmental Health and Safety at Seton Hall is governed by four governing bodies: OSHA (Chemical Hygiene Safety), RCRA and DOT (Hazardous Waste Materials Management) and the NRC (Radiation Safety). Each requires a formal plan or set of standard procedures for compliance. The Environmental Health and Safety Administrator (EHSA) is the designated Chemical Hygiene Officer as defined by OSHA, the Radiation Safety Officer and responsible for managing the hazardous waste disposal for the South Orange campus.
- Compliance duties for the Chemical Hygiene Officer include updating the Chemical Hygiene Plan, training all applicable students and employees, chemical inventory, laboratory safety inspections, and accident report investigations.
- The Radiation Safety Program is a slightly smaller program than the Laboratory Safety program but contains the same elements with the addition of tighter control by the NRC over our program.
- The management of hazardous waste material covers the use and disposal of any material that is injurious to life, health and property.
- Manages the Stockroom Supervisor's work with hazardous waste materials.
- Three to five years related experience managing academic and/or industrial laboratories in natural or physical sciences required; oversight of inventory control systems and auditing; knowledge of regulated waste removal guidelines: experience training others in safety practices and procedures.
- Knowledge of reporting per regulations at the city, state and federal, as well as supervision of chemical hygiene plans, emergency protocols, building/facility maintenance.
- Master's Degree in Chemical, Biology or Engineering is also required.
- Doctoral degree-Field of study: chemical, physical or biological science.
- Heavy lifting is necessary on occasion; Vision/hearing: Often; Extensive Standing/walking: Often; Exposure to all weather conditions & exposure to hazardous materials: sometimes
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend