This position provides essential customer service and evening staffing at the Walsh Library circulation desk and critical operations support within the Access Services unit, performing routine library functions (check out; check in; title search; account review, etc.) and clerical duties related to the circulation, retrieval, and organization of library materials using the library system and other systems. Assists in processing interlibrary loan and resource sharing requests using ILLiad and ReShare for SHU Library patrons and libraries borrowing materials from SHU. Returns, receives, completes, prints labels, ships, and tracks loans using various functions and data entry methods via interlibrary loan systems and MS Excel. Provides guidance and direction to library student workers. This position is designated as an essential employee for staffing the library during weather emergencies. Adjusted schedule during the summer months will be required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform routine library functions (check out, check in, title search, account review, etc.) and clerical duties related to the circulation, retrieval, and organization of library materials such as books, journals, and other publications using the WMS Integrated Library System and other software. Provide basic customer service and directional assistance to library users. Communicate and enforce library policy and procedures.
- Process interlibrary loan and resource sharing requests using ILLiad and ReShare for both SHU Library patrons and libraries borrowing materials from SHU. Return, receive, complete, print labels, ship, and track loans via the Interlibrary Loan systems and MS Excel. Perform library catalog and database searching to determine item access.
- Search, verify, and input bibliographic information into ILLiad. Train and supervise student assistants working at the Circulation Desk. Perform opening and closing routines for the library.
- Answer phone and email inquiries; report and document library maintenance and security issues; collect library fines and fees via Pirate Gold or check.
- Serve as back-up reserves specialist, creating lists for faculty and adding or removing physical or digital material. Perform other duties related to circulation desk function. Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's degree
-1-3 years work experience
- Good customer service and phone skills, ability to communicate clearly and promptly responding to email
- Must be highly dependable and able to deal with issues proactively
- Ability to use basic computer equipment and offer occasional support for printers, public computers, and scanners
- Bachelor's degree, field of study: open
- Library work experience
- Circulation or Interlibrary Loan experience
Staff Union (Local 153) - SU18.0
Physical Demands: General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please provide contact information for 3 professional reference.
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.