Associate Professor and Chair, Educational Leadership, Management and Policy
Job no: 494903
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
College of Education and Human Services | Associate Professor and Chair
Department of Education Leadership, Management, and Policy
The College of Education and Human Services at Seton Hall University invites applications from qualified candidates for the position associate professor and chair in the Department of Education Leadership, Management, and Policy. The department chair assignment is a twelve-month, tenure-track position beginning July 1st, 2022.
The Department of Education Leadership, Management, and Policy offers M.A., Ed.S., Ed.D., and Ph.D. programs for students who seek leadership, policy, and research positions in public, private, and parochial schools, districts, and institutions of higher education, government agencies, non-profit and other education policy organizations, and in law enforcement agencies. The department contains programs in K-12 Education, Higher Education, and Police Graduate Studies.
The department chair will serve as a leader and mentor to faculty colleagues, as a collaborator with other university departments and leaders, and as an advocate for the department. The successful candidate will be responsible for guiding the department’s vision, supporting program quality, and supporting faculty within the department.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing leadership and overall management of the department, including, but not limited to, strategic planning, supporting faculty research and instruction, conducting faculty evaluations, and budget management.
- Promoting excellence in research, teaching, and service.
- Facilitating the development of new strategies for increased student enrollment, retention and success.
- Cultivating a trusting, inclusive, and equitable work and educational environment.
- Supervision of the department’s K-12, Higher Education, and Police Graduate Studies programs.
- Teaching in the various programs, as needed.
- Advising doctoral students/mentoring doctoral dissertations.
- Being an active member of the College of Education and Human Services and the broader Seton Hall community.
- Navigate complex organizational contexts and systems at the department, college, and university levels and strategically advocate for departmental priorities.
- An earned doctorate in education or a related field.
- A demonstrated commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- At least six years of experience as a full-time faculty member teaching courses in K-12 education, higher education, police studies, or a related field.
- Experience in leadership roles within academic programs or departments.
- A demonstrated record of scholarship commensurate with the rank of associate professor.
- Ability to problem-solve interpersonal interactions that include faculty, staff, and students.
- Demonstrated ability to unify faculty across diverse academic programs.
- Experience with programmatic or regional accreditation agencies, such as CAEP or Middle States.
- Experience gathering and responding to student and faculty feedback.
- Experience mentoring doctoral dissertations (EdD and PhD).
- Experience teaching in nontraditional environments (online, hybrid, weekend, and/or off-site).
- A successful track record of receiving external research funding.
- General office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- A cover letter detailing qualifications for the position, including a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion in teaching, research and service.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- A one page statement of your approach to leadership.
- The names of three references including email addresses and telephone numbers. Note: We will only contact references with the permission of the applicant.
- Although applications will be accepted until the position is filled, for full consideration, candidates should have their applications in by December 15, 2021.
Inquiries about the position should be sent to:
David B. Reid, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor and Interim Department Chair
Department of Education Leadership, Management and Policy
Only applications submitted through the Seton Hall University website will be considered.
For more information, visit: https://www.shu.edu/education-leadership-management-policy/
Seton Hall University is located in South Orange, New Jersey, just 14 miles from New York City. It is the oldest Catholic diocesan institution of higher education in the United States, and its Carnegie classification is a doctoral university with high research activity. It is home to approximately 6,300 undergraduate and 4,700 graduate students from all 50 states and more than 60 foreign countries. An exciting and culturally diverse community, Seton Hall pursues academic excellence and ethical development in a collaborative environment and prepares its students to be servant leaders in their professional and community lives.
Accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education, the College of Education and Human Services is one of Seton Hall's eight colleges and schools. It offers programs at the bachelors, masters and doctoral levels and is noted for its nontraditional scheduling, its hands-on internships and its community involvement
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend