SAT Writing/Reading Instructor for TRIO Upward Bound Fall Semester
Job no: 494800
Full time/Part time: Part-time
Location: South Orange
Seton Hall Upward Bound Program is a unique educational experience that uses Federal funding to offer a variety of academic, social, and cultural activities, as well as personal and career counseling for first-generation, limited-income high school students in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington, New Jersey. The goal of the Upward Bound Program is to assist and prepare high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds to aspire for post-secondary education and beyond.
The overall program goal is to provide students with academic support and instruction to maximize their academic successes and opportunities. The primary objective is to see an increase in the 11th and 12th-grade students’ overall SAT scores.
Personal Touch: Respect, Responsiveness, and Responsibility in all professional relationships, specifically, employee to student, employee to employee, and employee to the community. College employees acknowledge their obligation to model and teach the three R’s to influence student development of behaviors that will lead to academic, professional, and personal success.
Assessment contributes to assessment for continuous quality improvement of the academic support for high school students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Effectively utilize the provided SAT Teacher’s Guide to teach topic overview, followed by activities that provide helpful practice with concepts covered
- Assist students in preparation for the Reading and Writing or the English, Reading on the ACT
- Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of instructional level, or level of interest in the subject.
- Assess and evaluate students’ performance and use data to effectively plan and modify lessons
- Responsible for inspiring and challenging students through active learning and managing a classroom environment conducive to learning
- Responsible for holding students accountable, while being empathetic to their individual needs
- Maintain effective and timely communication with Upward Bound administrators, and advocates regularly regarding students' progress
- Participate in professional development activities such as in-service and professional development opportunities
- Maintain attendance roster for all students
- Bachelor's Degree from accredited college or university required.
- New Jersey Department of Education Standard Certificate, Certificate of Eligibility (CE), or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS).
- Possession of a current and valid teaching certificate in the appropriate subject/content area issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- A minimum of two (2) years teaching, preferably in urban or limited-income settings
- Subject matter expertise.
- Ability to increase students’ scores to 600/700 on SAT I Writing, Critical Reading 600/700 on relevant SAT II Subject tests
- A collaborative attitude towards teaching and learning.
- Experience working with Federal TRIO Programs and underserved populations (limited-income, first-generation students) preferred.
- Possess an acceptance of diversity, a desire to assist students, and maintain a positive attitude.
- Master’s degree in education preferred
- Experience teaching standardized test prep is a plus
- General office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- A complete application will include the completed online application, resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) references.
- All applicants chosen for an interview will be required to demonstrate an in-person or virtual 10-minute mock lesson.
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at Seton Hall University, South Orange campus and facilities, as assigned.
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend