Culinary Arts Instructor-TRiO Upward Bound 5 weeks Summer Program
Job no: 494679
Full time/Part time: Part-time
Location: South Orange
Seton Hall Upward Bound Program is a unique educational experience that uses Federal funding to offer a variety of academic, social, and cultural activities, as well as personal and career counseling for first-generation, limited-income high school students in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington, New Jersey. The goal of the Upward Bound Program is to assist and prepare high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds to aspire for post-secondary education and beyond.
Personal Touch: Respect, Responsiveness, and Responsibility in all professional relationships, specifically, employee to student, employee to employee, and employee to the community observed. College employees acknowledge their obligation to model and teach the three R’s to influence student development of behaviors that will lead to academic, professional, and personal success.
Assessment: contributes to assessment for continuous quality improvement of the academic support for high school students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Culinary Instructor is responsible for virtually teaching high school students the basics of gourmet cooking, along with the importance of daily nutrition.
- Develop lesson and unit plans, course objectives and outline the following curriculum guidelines and the programs’ educational philosophy.
- Responsible for teaching students about culinary terminology, food cuisines, meat, fish and poultry fabrication, and general food knowledge.
- Responsible for teaching students about supplies and equipment used in the culinary arts field.
- Provide classes with a fun, conversational experience while demonstrating basic cooking techniques
- Inform students of career opportunities in and related to the field of Culinary Arts.
- Modifies instruction, as needed, to meet the needs of all students.
- Communicate relevant, real-world experiences to the students to utilize at home
- Incorporate a variety of interactive technology to engage students virtually
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to build successful relationships with student populations
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly and productive virtual classroom environment
- Confer with Upward Bound Administrators, and Advocates regularly about students’ performances in the class
- Maintains attendance for all students
- Record grades and submit individual Student Assessment at the end of the semester
- Minimum of three (3) years previous successful experience in a food service setting as an executive chef or comparable occupation
Career & Technical Education, Culinary Arts Teacher
- Experience in catering for large groups
- Certified in Serv-Safe safety and sanitation
- Associates Degree
General office environment
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend