Spanish Language Instructor for TRIO Upward Bound 6 Week Summer Program
Job no: 494563
Full time/Part time: Part-time
Location: South Orange
Seton Hall Upward Bound Program is a unique educational experience that uses Federal funding to offer a variety of academic, social, and cultural activities, as well as personal and career counseling for first-generation, limited-income high school students in Newark, East Orange, and Irvington, New Jersey. The goal of the Upward Bound Program is to assist and prepare high school students from disadvantaged backgrounds to aspire for post-secondary education and beyond.
Personal Touch: Respect, Responsiveness, and Responsibility in all professional relationships, specifically, employee to student, employee to employee, and employee to the community. College employees acknowledge their obligation to model and teach the three R’s to influence student development of behaviors that will lead to academic, professional, and personal success.
Assessment: contributes to assessment for continuous quality improvement of the academic support for high school students.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop lesson and unit plans, course objectives and outline the following curriculum guidelines and the programs’ educational philosophy
- Develop engaging and innovative supplemental plans to teach students about Spanish culture, which may include festivals, traditional food, and dress, and social conventions
- Conduct research on teaching methods, materials, and language games that can be used in a virtual setting
- Participate in professional development activities such as in-service and professional development opportunities
- Incorporate a variety of interactive technology to engage students virtually teaching writing and Spanish composition, using pronunciation, important words, and phrases
- Differentiate lessons when needed to give all students access to the curriculum regardless of instructional level, or level of interest in the subject and organize class time to prove a balanced program of instructing/tutoring
- Refer and/or connect students with needed resources to overcome academic and/or personal challenges to promote academic success
- Evaluate students through progress through oral and or written examinations to showcase students’ Spanish language skills
- Provide proactive academic intervention to students experiencing poor academic performance and struggles
- Establish and maintain standards of student behavior needed to provide an orderly and productive virtual classroom environment
- Confer with Upward Bound Administrators, and Advocates regularly about students’ performances in the class
- Maintains attendance for all students
- Record grades and submit individual Student Assessment at the end of the semester
- Bachelor’s degree for K-12 teaching in Spanish Language
- Preferred possession of a current and valid teaching certificate in the desired subject for teaching issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
- Proven written and verbal proficiency in Spanish.
- Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the duties of this position.
- Experience in the assessment of student learning and continuous quality improvement preferred.
- Experience in facilitating and presenting to small and large groups, virtually.
- Ability to create supplemental lesson plans, if needed.
- Master’s degree in education preferred
- General office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- A complete application will include: the completed online application, resume, cover letter, and a list of three (3) references.
- All applicants chosen for an interview will be required to demonstrate a virtual 10-minute mock lesson.
- Please note, this is a six (6) week summer program
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend