Public Safety Officer/Courier Driver
Job no: 494477
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Public Safety Officer/Courier Driver’s primary purpose is to protect life and property. This is accomplished by providing a safe and reliable transportation service, transporting people as well as mail and packages to the Inter-Professional Health Science Campus (I.H.S.C.) from the main campus. In addition to providing transportation and enforcement of University’s rules and regulation, they will complete written reports on all security related matters and provide information and assistance to students, staff and the general public. Furthermore, they assist Police, Fire and Rescue Squad when necessary or as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Courier/Safe Ride Transportation:
• Provide transportation of mail/materials and people when required to and from all University locations.
• The PSO Courier Driver ensures all packages/mail are delivered within the scheduled times.
• Provide transportation to and from areas within the Saferide zone for SHU community members, when necessary
• Use wheelchair accessible vehicles to accommodate students with disabilities
2. Vehicle Maintenance:
• Maintain comprehensive knowledge on the Courier Driver/Saferide operations and utilities, such as operation of vehicles and maintenance of vehicle.
• Courier Driver must inspect the vehicle at the beginning and end of assigned shift as well as be responsible for checking the oil, tire pressure, lights, fuel and cleanliness of the vehicle.
• Courier Driver will submit a vehicle inspection sheet at the beginning and end of their shift.
3. Create and maintain all departmental detailed documentation for reporting and investigative purposes, including:
• Complete departmental incident report
• Calls for service: escorts, jumpstarts, and lock outs
• Complete motor vehicle accident report
• Generate property reports
• Complete work orders that identify safety concerns in need of attention from the Facility Engineering staff.
4. Public Safety is the 1st responder to all emergency calls occurring on campus, including but not limited to:
• Medical emergencies (provide CPR, AED, and First Aid)
• Fire alarms
• Bomb Threats
• Intrusion alarms
5. Customer service by:
• Providing directions
• Escorts/Transportation – on and off campus
• Vehicular jumpstarts
- High School Diploma or GED 1-3 years of relevant work experience, which may include experience in public safety, military, police or criminal justice coursework.
- Must be able to operate a 14 passenger vehicle.
- Community policing course, CPR, AED, First Aid certification, basic computer skills, have knowledge of alarm systems, the ability to write a clear and concise report, be able to clearly communicate directions, instructions, as well as work well under pressure
Licenses and Certificates:
- Valid New Jersey driver's license required with a good driving record
- Vision and hearing abilities-often; heavy lifting, carrying, etc.-sometimes; extensive standing, walking, etc.-often; exposure to all weather conditions-often; exposure to hazardous materials-rarely
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend