Job no: 494049
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
This position supports core technologies essential to the enterprise server infrastructure and end user computing services. These technologies include, VMware virtual server foundation, Cisco Hyperflex cluster management, Linux operating system, DNS and DHCP network services, enterprise monitoring and tape backup systems. All of these services are used by the Banner ERP system among others.
Technical responsibilities of this position include architecture recommendations, implementation and integration, process automation, performance analysis, security review, capacity management, upgrade planning, and problem resolution for end-to-end service components. Current components include server, storage, and virtual networking hardware, VMware hypervisor and Linux operating systems, and specialized appliance and software solutions including Infoblox, Solarwinds SAM, and Amazon Web Services EC2. Support responsibilities include regular operation, log monitoring, maintenance, account administration, access review, and second level end user support, creation of documentation and training materials, change coordination, and investigation of security incidents. In addition to specific support of assigned systems and services, this position shares joint responsibilities of the Systems Support group including rotating on-call duty for 7x24 response to system faults, service threats, and urgent support requirements.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Server architecture and implementation - Analyze requirements and create system architecture design. Plan, install, test and integrate new VMware, storage area network, and Linux-based application systems and provide expert support through all stages of the server lifecycle.
- System operation and maintenance - Develop and perform procedures for regular maintenance including periodic review and analysis of logs, capacity and performance metrics, and security status. Ensure system monitoring 7 days a week, 24 hours a day and respond to service threats in a timely manner. Test and apply software patches. Update inventories and reconcile regularly to maintain appropriate backup and monitoring coverage.
- User support and account management - Respond to daily user requests and problem reports. Process authorized access change requests and perform regular entitlement reviews. Provide documentation, second-level support, and expert consultation to end users and technical support colleagues.
- System development and improvement - Investigate, evaluate and test new software releases and products to keep pace with technology advancement and better achieve organizational goals. Automate time-consuming and repetitive tasks. Introduce changes and standards to optimize performance, service availability and resource utilization.
- Shared systems administration responsibilities - Participate in on-call rotation for general systems support and other duties as assigned. Contribute to integration, central management and procedural improvement efforts to maintain and enhance the systems environment.
- Ability to organize large and diverse workload of short term problems, long term projects and recurring tasks and report status effectively. ITIL and/or Agile process experience preferred.
- VMware ESX administration including HA, DRS and VMotion
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux administration
- General UNIX administration including common packages and services such as Apache,
- LDAP, NFS, iptables, SAMBA, and Sendmail
- DNS administration
- Open source software compiling and installation
- UNIX shell scripting
- Cisco Hyperflex Cluster
- Enterprise backup administration; Veeam preferred
- Enterprise monitoring; Solarwinds Orion preferred
- Bachelor's degree with 5-8 years related experience
- Windows Server administration
- Database administration - Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, Ansible, Python and/or MySQL
- C, C++ and/or Java programming
Licenses and Certificates:
- General Office Environment
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend