Job no: 494123
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
Seton Hall University is inviting applications for General Counsel, a full-time administrative position. Reporting to the President, the General Counsel provides leadership and direction for all legal matters relating to the University. As chief legal officer, General Counsel furnishes legal advice and supports the functions of the University’s governing boards, president, executive officers, and their associated constituents. The General Counsel will also recommend and manage outside counsel, corporate affairs, and litigation.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Interact routinely with senior level administrators, faculty, students, and members of the Board of Trustees and Board of Regents.
- Represent the University to internal and external constituencies regarding legal matters
- Provide legal advice and counsel in a wide variety of areas relevant to higher education, including: policy development, academic and corporate governance, employment and labor relations, business contracts, commercial and construction transactions, intellectual property, zoning, real estate, risk management, property, and immigration
- Manage litigation and pre-litigation matters
- Ensure conformity with legislation, regulations, and institutional policies related to the functions of student affairs, academic affairs, human resources, and business affairs
- Work proactively and strategically to protect the University from legal exposure; provide
preventive legal advice
- Oversee and lead the following University functions: equity, diversity, and compliance; and equal employment opportunity and Title IX compliance
- Supervise the staff and operation of the Office of General Counsel
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the President of the University
- An earned Juris Doctorate (J.D.) from an ABA accredited school of law is required.
- Admitted to practice law in New Jersey or eligible to obtain a license (or in house limited license pursuant to New Jersey Court Rule 1:27-2) within one year, required.
- At least seven years of legal work experience is required, including work experience in Higher Education. Higher Education experience in a general counsel office is strongly preferred.
- A demonstrated understanding of laws and regulations pertaining to higher education is required.
- Supervision of legal staff and management of external counsel are preferred.
- Excellent communication, problem-solving, and interpersonal skills are required.
- The General Counsel must possess an understanding and willingness to support the Seton Hall University Catholic mission.
- General Office Environment
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend