Tenure Track Assistant Professor in Classical Studies
Job no: 494115
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
Seton Hall University seeks applicants for a tenure–track faculty appointment at the rank of assistant professor in Classical Studies beginning in the 2020-21 academic year. The position, which has budgetary approval, will be in the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures of the College of Arts and Sciences.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching responsibilities will include Greek and Latin language and literature at all levels, as well as Classical Literature, civilization, and cultures courses in translation.
- Participation in the University Core Curriculum will be expected, and may include teaching in the University Honors Program.
Candidates should have a Ph.D. in Classics in hand by August 2020, and show evidence of scholarly promise, a demonstrated commitment to undergraduate teaching and learning, and experience in leading interdisciplinary courses.
- Teaching responsibilities will include Greek and Latin language and literature at all levels, as well as Classical literature, civilization, and culture courses in translation.
The position is for a general classicist, and candidates should be willing and able to teach up to three preparations per semester. Participation in the University Core Curriculum will be expected, and may include teaching in the University Honors Program.
- Candidates with experience and/or interest in program building are especially encouraged to apply.
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please send a letter of application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and three letters of reference to the Search Committee Chair: Dr. Frederick J. Booth, Director, Classical Studies Program. All materials should be submitted electronically through http://jobs.shu.edu/cw/en-us/job/494115/tenure-track-assistant-professor-in-classical-studies. The deadline for applications is December 31, 2019. Preliminary interviews will be conducted by Skype in late January/February 2020, with three finalists invited for on-campus interview and teaching demonstration in March, 2020.
Seton Hall, the oldest Catholic diocesan university in the US, is located 14 miles west of Manhattan, in South Orange, New Jersey and has an enrollment of approximately 10,000 students. Candidates should be supportive of the Catholic mission of the university. SHU is committed to programs of equal employment opportunity and affirmative action (EEO/AA) to achieve our objectives of creating and supporting a diverse racial, ethnic, and cultural community.
Seton Hall University is committed to programs of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and the principles of affirmative action.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend