The Secretary for Seminary’s Finances and Administration works primarily for the Vice Rector, the Administrator for Budgets and Financial Operations, the Coordinator, Seminary’s ESL program and Director of Center for Diaconal Formation. The Secretary facilitates the processing of seminarians’ financial aid, loans, students’ receivables and diocesan billing, as well as the processing of income revenue, student loan receipts and payment from appropriate dioceses after financial aid is completed. Regarding the Seminary’s ESL program, the Secretary provides on-going clerical assistance, including filing, scheduling, creating spreadsheets, and compiling assessment reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Student Billing Payments and Financial Assistance
• Using Banner, reviews all students’ accounts for accuracy, including those studying for the
Archdiocese of Newark, other dioceses, and religious orders, and communicates with the
bursar to correct any discrepancy.
• Prepares spreadsheets with the summary of cost of tuition, fees, room and board for all
• Assists in generating bills for the Archdiocese of Newark, other dioceses, and religious
• Assists in preparing/making deposits to the University of any payments received from the
billings of either the University or the Seminary (Archdiocese of Newark, other dioceses and
religious orders, and lay students).
• Assists in reconciliation of Bursar deposits.
• Copies, expedites, and files check requests, invoices, and other form of payments.
• Copies, expedites and files Travel and Entertainment Report requests.
• Assists in processing stipends to Newark seminarians studying at ICS and the Pontifical
North American College.
• Assists with requesting loans/grants and other awards for resident seminarians.
• Prepares various disbursement reports—grants, loans, scholarships.
• Assists Business Office in creating end-of-year reports for dioceses.
• Collects and verifies financial data.
• Assists with resolving standard financial aid issues/concerns.
• Assists in processing, submitting and keeping records of inter-departmental transfer
• Reconciles and processes credit card statements.
• Resolves invoice issues.
• Assists in preparing pertinent materials for returning and new student seminarians’
orientation, such as parking decals’ requests, distribution and billing, and bookstore
vouchers request and billing.
• Obtains data and creates report all registered students, categorized for budget purposes.
• Provides general clerical support for Offices of Finance and Development, including
photocopying, faxing, fielding phone calls, preparing correspondence.
2. Clerical Assistance, Seminary’s ESL Program
• Provides general clerical assistance including faxing, fielding phone calls, photocopying.
• Maintains and updates file of each seminarian’s program and assessment.
• Maintains and updates files of reports, schedules, ESL resources, tutor applications and
administrative procedures and policies.
• Prepares and organizes Excel spreadsheets.
• Compiles assessment data for each ESL seminarian.
• Provides assistance with preparing and maintaining ESL tutor schedule.
• Retrieves pertinent data from Banner.
• Posts classroom allocations for ESL classes.
• Prepares files for each tutor with pertinent ICS information.
• Regularly contacts tutors regarding reminders and schedule changes.
3. Clerical Assistance, Administrative Offices
• Performs general clerical duties, including, but not limited to, photocopying, faxing,
answering telephone, mailing, and filing.
• Provides front-desk coverage when receptionists or work-study students are unavailable.
• Assists with special projects and other work assigned by the Rector/Dean, Vice-
Rector/Business Manager, Associate Deans, and Director and Assistant Director of Center
for Diaconal Formation.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 3-5 years experience in accounting or finance
- Understanding and support of the Catholic Mission of Seton Hall University, and Immaculate Conception Seminary School of Theology
- Basic understanding of the hierarchy of the Catholic Church and the Archdiocese of Newark
- Ability to work with individuals or group with diverse, international backgrounds
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite Office Products - Word, Excel, and Publisher
- Very strong ability to multi-task, prioritize and exercise excellent time management. Must be a self-starter and a team player
- A professional, respect, and courteous demeanor
- Associate degree in accounting, or finance, or business
- Written and spoken Spanish
- Basic understanding of priestly, diaconal and lay vocations
- Familiarity with ministry of parishes of the Archdiocese of Newark
- General Office Environment
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.