Sciences Inventory Technician
Job no: 493968
Full time/Part time: Part-time
Location: South Orange
Will oversee implementation/maintenance of inventory barcoding system (cradle-to-grave tracking from receiving to waste disposal). Will affix inventory stickers, coordinate delivery to locations, scan used/empty containers in order to assist Environmental Health and Safety Officer in waste removal processes. Other duties as assigned may include assisting vendor pick-ups of electronic recycling and biohazard wastes generated by Chemistry, Biological Sciences and Physics departments.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Implementation and oversight of Sciences Inventory for record keeping; monitoring materials for allowable quantities (per compliance rules); daily rounds to collect waste containers, monitor collection areas, pack boxes for pick up by vendors and removal of items from active inventory records; coordinating mini-audits of physically held materials to spot-check accuracy of digital inventory; assist Environmental Health and Safety Administrator and Stockroom Supervisor in Laboratory Services Departments in generating reports for inventory, regulatory agencies and audits. Possible oversight of a specialized skill (student) worker in carrying out above duties. Some communications with staff, faculty and Dean's Office may take place.
- Prior experience in science lab(s) is highly preferred, as is knowledge of research processes, lab and chemical safety; Associate's degree or vocational/technical degree in sciences, mathematics, computer or engineering fields minimum; ability to speak and write clearly, effectively and professionally in the course of interacting with colleagues in Lab Services, as well as Departmental faculty, staff, students and Administration.
- High level of experience with Excel and Word and comfort in using technology (computer, imaging, camera, printers, etc). Organization skills and ability to track orders for arrivals, inventory input, and delivery/location information.
- Must follow all safety protocols as trained and be able to troubleshoot or provide feedback to faculty, students and staff who may be anxious about ordered materials or related concerns.
- Must be expected to maintain confidential information.
- Preference for a Bachelor's degree in a science, mathematics, industrial hygiene, computer science or engineering field; able to produce communications quickly and adequately; understanding flow of shipping and receiving from order placement to delivery to recipient including specific storage needs (refrigeration, canister hook ups, etc) including learning how to use specific software tools;
- Staff Union (Local 153) - SU18.0
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- This is a Local 153 position, only current Local 153 members may apply from 08/19/2019 to 08/26/2019.
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend