Contract Faculty - Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Job no: 493804
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Department of Mathematics and Computer Science at Seton Hall University invites applications for a full-time term faculty position in data science/machine learning to start in August 2019, with an annual term and renewable up to three years. The Department offers a new online M.S. program in Data Science, undergraduate majors in Computer Science and in Mathematics, minors in both fields, an undergraduate and graduate certificate program (with the Department of Psychology) in Data Visualization and Analysis, and a certificate program in Cyber-security.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teaching responsibilities will include M.S.-level and undergraduate data science courses (online and in-person). Specifically teaching Machine Learning and its applications, Data Mining and Data Visualization. The usual teaching load is eight courses per year (four courses per semester). Since the M.S. program runs year-long, one course will be scheduled during the summer session. During the first year, the teaching load is reduced to five courses to allow for online course development.
- Online course development responsibilities will include developing an M.S.-level course in Machine Learning (ML), an undergraduate version of the ML course, and a special topics course in Data Science/ML.
- Participate in University, College of Arts & Science, and Departmental activities including the departmental seminar.
- Applicants must understand and be willing to support the Seton Hall University Catholic mission.
- Ph.D. in Data Science, Computer Science or related fields.
- Teaching experience in machine learning is highly desired.
- Experience in teaching and/or developing online courses is desired, but not required.
- General office/lecture environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Since Seton Hall University is committed to providing a diverse and inclusive environment, the application must include a statement on diversity explaining what diversity means for the applicant with respect to the academic field, community and online instruction, and how the applicant intends to support diversity through the work as an online instructor and course developer.
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend