Communication Lecturer/Head Speech and Debate Coach
Job no: 493711
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Department of Communication, Journalism, and Public Relations in the College of Communication and the Arts at Seton Hall University invites applications for a full-time Communication Lecturer position with Head Coaching duties for our award-winning Brownson Speech and Debate Team to begin in August 2019. Lecturers have an initial one-year appointment, with opportunities for renewal and a multi-year contract.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- SHU lecturers teach four courses per semester. This position is eligible for one course release per semester for Head Coaching duties, based on the chair’s assessment and recommendation and approval by the dean each semester.
- As a faculty member, this individual reports to the Department Chair; as Head Coach, the faculty member reports to and collaborates with the Director of Forensics on all team matters.
- In addition to teaching, the successful candidate will support the Brownson Speech and Debate Team through lead coaching, traveling to tournaments, planning and hosting tournaments and campus events, and promoting a successful and collaborative interdisciplinary Forensics program. The Brownson Speech and Debate Team is a highly competitive co-curricular program characterized by well-rounded Individual Events speakers, partial scholarships, and strong institutional support.
- The successful candidate will participate in program assessment, advise undergraduate students, and perform service to the department and college, which may include an opportunity for curricular development.
- An M.S. or M.A. in a communication discipline (or related field) is required,.
- Significant Individual Events forensics coaching experience and successful record is required.
- Because the position involves travel to a minimum of six tournament weekends with students per semester as well as van rental, candidates must able to drive students and meet the university motor vehicle requirements as well as rental car requirements, including a valid driver’s license.
- The successful candidate must have evidence of success as a teacher, strong interpersonal and leadership skills, and evidence of ability to work with assistant coaches and the Director of Forensics in an environment committed to promoting the Catholic mission of the university.
- Ph.D. in communication discipline (or related field).
- Debate experience is desirable.
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Applications must include a cover letter, at least three reference letters, evidence of effective teaching and coaching, a statement of teaching philosophy, and a curriculum vitae. Additionally, candidates must include a 250-word coaching philosophy statement.
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend