Director of Business Intelligence and Analytics
Job no: 493482
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Director Business Intelligence (BI) and Analytics promotes and supports the effective use of data by key decision makers at the University in support of the University's strategic goals. The Director will work with key stakeholders across the University to identify, prioritize and implement business critical BI capabilities, such as (but not limited to) the buildout of the University's data warehouse (such as importing additional data sources into the warehouse for reporting), the creation of data marts and self-service reports, executive level and strategic reports and dashboards, visual analytics (such as charts and graphs to better show the relationship between various data) and advanced analytics (such as correlation and regression to make predictions and explore "what if" scenarios). The Director reports to the Associate Provost for Strategy and Finance and leads a cross-functional team including technical specialist in databases and data migration, BI report developers, and business subject matter experts.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with key business stakeholders, including senior management from Academic Affairs, Enrollment Services, Finance, Institutional Research, IT, and Student Services to identify strategic reporting needs and to build standard parameterized reports, management dashboards and self-service reporting into the existing Cognos report delivery platform.
- Translates and incorporates the business vision and strategy of the University's executive team into a consistent data architecture and increases the University's BI maturity by implementing processes within Ellucian’s Banner Data Warehouse that will yield a more robust data sets and a richer portfolio of reports.
- Champions expanded data governance through the use of existing tools and processes (e.g., iData's Data Cookbook). Assesses and expands the university’s ability to identify, track and remediate data quality anomalies within business-critical areas of data.
- Directs the technical staff to expand the data architecture (i.e. data marts, cubes and ETL) needed to support robust BI and Analytics capabilities, including the integration of drill-down and slice-and-dice capabilities, dashboards, and visual analytics into Cognos reports. Looks for opportunities to integrate disparate sets of data (e.g., from the University's learning management systems, student retention systems, admissions systems, etc.) into the data warehouse to add additional value to BI capabilities.
- Plans and manages initiatives to implement management dashboards and self-service reporting using existing reporting tools and data sources (e.g., Cognos and the Ellucian BI Suite) as well as initiatives to implement visual and advanced analytics (i.e. Tableau, SPSS, R).
- Evaluates, pilots, and recommends new BI and analytic tools as they become available (e.g., piloting the forthcoming Ellucian Anaytics platform, piloting "big data" analysis in Amazon Web Services, and the like).
- Master's Degree or equivalent.
- More than 8 years experience in the field.
- General office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend