Assistant Men's Basketball Coach
Job no: 493473
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The primary purpose of this position is assist the head coach in the organization, development, and planning of the basketball program. This position must assist in all aspects of practice-planning/floor responsibilities and assist in all aspects of recruiting. This position requires the assessment of student-athletes ability to compete academically and athletically. The assistant coach is responsible for the concerns and welfare of his/her student athletes both on and off the field of competition. This includes monitoring the academic performance and furthering the success of the team in meeting academic and eligibility criteria set forth by the university and the NCAA. The assistant coach is responsible for the safety, behavior and appearance of the student-athletes and managers under his/her direction while representing the university.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Design, conduct and monitor countable athletically-related activities per NCAA playing and practice regulations and department policy, including declaring the practice season, reporting weekly countable athletically-related activities adhering to sport-specific rules regarding voluntary activities and sport-specific safety exceptions.
- As a position specialist, evaluate student-athletes to identify strengths and deficiencies, and design instructional opportunities to improve technical and strategic execution based on sound motor learning and bio-mechanical principles.
- Collaborate with the Head Coach to incorporate position specific learning opportunities into daily practice design. Communicate with all members of the program's coaching staff regarding the progress and training activities of the specific group of student-athletes that coach is charged with overseeing.
- Assist in planning, conducting and supervising all practice and conditioning sessions, as is deemed appropriate.
- Provide leadership during instructional sessions, utilize given discretion in guiding students through the learning experience via a variety of teaching strategies, and alter skills as need to facilitate program needs.
- Collaborate with the Head Coach, certified Athletic Trainers, and Strength and Conditioning Coach to design both academic year (in-season and out-of-season) and summer conditioning programs, encompassing recognized and approved methods of improving power, speed, strength and aerobic performance, consistent with industry safety and health standards.
- As an NCAA certified recruiter, successfully research, scout, evaluate and contact prospective student-athletes while operating within the scope of the department, Big East Conference and NCAA regulations at all times.
- As an on-campus recruiter, collaborate with other department and university staff in designing official and unofficial visits in compliance with all university, Big East Conference and NCAA regulations.
- As a recruiter, assist other department staff by regularly defining personal responsibilities for recruitment-related correspondence, telephone calls, academic evaluations, athletic evaluations, off-campus contacts, home visits and database maintenance per department, university, Big East Conference and NCAA regulations.
- Coordinate mailing of recruitment materials to prospective student-athletes, ensuring the maintenance of a computerized master recruit database.
- Oversee the negotiation of scholarship offers to prospective student-athletes, ensuring that any commitments fit within the total number of available scholarships.
- Establish and develop relationships with appropriate high school and junior college officials, amateur club coaches, and coaches within the sport's national governing body for public relations purposes, thus positioning the university nationally.
- Provide valuable input in developing and monitoring the program budget relative to position's primary responsibilities, such as recruitment, team travel, or equipment and apparel.
- Manage, monitor and archive all required records and paperwork per regulatory requirements (e.g. state, federal and NCAA compliance).
- Must understand and comply with all NCAA and Big East rules and regulations at all times. .
- Participate in public relations activities, as approved, to include granting interviews with newspaper, radio and television media, attending press conferences and making public appearances. Consult with assigned Media Services staff regarding game preparations.
- Represent the department at professional, civic, charitable and alumni events. Consult with Compliance office staff to evaluate each request to ensure compliance with NCAA regulations.
- Bachelor's Degree; Three to five years of collegiate basketball coaching and recruiting experience essential.
- Master's Degree; Collegiate playing experience at the Division I level desired
Licenses and Certificates:
- Must pass NCAA Certification Exam to recruit. Valid driver’s license.
- General office environment
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend