Family Medicine Clerkship Director
Job no: 493287
Full time/Part time: Part-time
Location: Interprofessional Health Sciences
Duties and Responsibilities:
Clerkship Director Curricular Roles and Responsibilities
*Note that these roles and responsibilities apply to faculty who are serving as Clerkship Directors. This does not replace the SOM Faculty Guide or Faculty Bylaws applicable for all SOM faculty.
- Clerkship Directors will lead a collaborative team composed of individuals with the appropriate breadth and depth of expertise, background, training, and experience. Working with the SOM Office of Medical Education (OME) team, they will develop and implement clerkship structure, learning objectives, required clinical experiences, didactic curriculum, and assessments that meet the goals of the clerkship year as a whole, the Phase 2 curriculum, and the SOM Vision and EPOs.
The following items provide further detail of the work that the Clerkship Director and/or clerkship leadership team will do:
- Collaborate with other Clerkship and Course Directors to ensure that curricular content is properly integrated across the curriculum
- Collaborate with leaders of longitudinal curricular elements (e.g., Clinical Skills, Health Systems, etc.) as well as basic science educators to ensure that themes are adequately represented in the curriculum and properly integrated
- Develop instructional materials
- Oversee in-class sessions and out-of-class work
- Oversee clinical experiences including appropriate student roles and responsibilities as well as student supervision.
- Develop and oversee design and timely collection of formative and summative assessments
- Participate in the development and implementation of Block OSCEs, EPA training and assessment, and other SOM competency training and assessments.
- Monitor for and ensure adherence to all SOM and clinical facility policies (e.g. grading, student assessment recusal, duty hours, professionalism, assessment, etc.).
- Orient and develop faculty, resident, and other instructors (in collaboration, where appropriate, with the SOM’s Office of Faculty)
- Design and implement changes to the clerkship, in response to feedback, reports, and recommendations from students, faculty, and SOM Committees
- Participate on SOM Committees, including the Phase 2 Curriculum Subcommittee of the Medical Education Committee (MEC)
- Participation in the SOM Curriculum Management Plan, which includes: 1) Annual Curriculum Outcomes Evaluation Process, 2) Clerkship Peer Review, 3) Curricular Goals, Content, and Structure Evaluation Process, and 4) SOM Curriculum Database construction and use
- Participate in Educational Quality Improvement data collection and projects
- Ensure compliance with all SOM accreditation policies and procedures, and participate in LCME and other accreditation activities.
- Create and implement communication, faculty development, and other procedures that ensure adherence to all SOM and clerkship policies and functions.
Participate in the recruitment of faculty with a focus on their potential as educators
- Participate in the recruitment, supervision, and development of the clerkship leadership team (including Assistant or Associate Clerkship Director(s), site directors, primary preceptors, and clerkship coordinator)
- Identify and assign/reassign faculty for specific teaching responsibilities in the clerkship and enhance diversity of the clerkship faculty.
- Track the quality of teaching and intervene with individual faculty when appropriate.
- Report, when appropriate, on teaching contributions (quality and quantity) of faculty members.
- Calculate and calibrate student grades after defining and establishing standards and parameters for grading, adhering to school policies and directives concerning grading.
- Provide the Office of Registration and Records with student grades and competency assessments per defined SOM policies and procedures.
- Systematically review evaluation data (including student evaluations, outcomes data, and other metrics) of individual faculty, clerkship overall, and clerkship administration, and make evaluation data available to faculty and Department Chairs as appropriate, and provide timely feedback to faculty. (This may include identification of and remediation of unprofessional or abusive behaviors
- Participate in review and recommendations with respect to budgetary decisions that support the clerkship.
- Work with the SOM and Office of Medical Education team to train and supervise clerkship coordinator.
- Work closely with and collaborate with residency directors and faculty to build integrated teaching units and programs, and to develop residents as key teachers in SOM clerkships.
- Work with, collaborate, and participate in the development and implementation of other departmental clinical rotation offerings such as electives, sub-internships, and bootcamps.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Ability to receive NJ Medical License.
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Seton Hall University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation or sex.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend