Public Safety Officer
Job no: 493279
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Public Safety Officer’s primary purpose is to protect life and property. This is accomplished through a variety of tasks including: preventive patrol, reporting suspicious persons/activities, reporting unsafe conditions, providing transportation to students and the enforcement of University’s rules and regulations. Regulate pedestrian and vehicular traffic and provide a security presence for dignitary visits, special events, and sporting events. He/She completes written reports on all security related matters and provide information and assistance to students, staff and the general public. Assists South Orange Police, Fire, and Rescue Squad when necessary or as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Preventive Patrol:
• Conduct patrols of the parking deck, surface parking lots, University grounds, surrounding streets, neighborhoods, and all off-site University locations.
• Lock/Unlock buildings according to daily operation schedule.
• Operate our safe ride transportation vehicles
• Perform Fire Extinguisher Inspections
2. Control vehicular access to the campus by:
• Enforcing regulations requiring parking permits and or parking guest passes.
• Identification and/or the removal from campus of all unauthorized vehicles.
3. Create and maintain all departmental detailed documentation for reporting and investigative purposes, including:
• Complete departmental incident report
• Calls for service: escorts, jump-starts, and lock outs
• Complete motor vehicle accident report
• Generate property reports
• Complete work orders that identify safety concerns in need of attention from the Facility Engineering staff.
4. Public Safety is the 1st responder to all emergency calls occurring on campus, including but not limited to:
• Medical emergencies (provide CPR, AED, and First Aid)
• Fire alarms
• Bomb Threats
• Intrusion alarms
5. Customer service by:
• Providing directions
• Escorts/Transportation – on and off campus
• Vehicular jump-starts
• Vehicle lockouts
6. Provide security services at all visits of dignitaries, special events and sporting contests by:
• Direct and control vehicular/pedestrian traffic.
• Perform package inspections.
• Maintain crowd control.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Minimum of 3 years public safety training or military, police or degree courses in Criminal Justice; must be able to work well under pressure, write a clear and concise report, be able to analyze and evaluate situations to determine appropriate action or response.
- Basic computer skills, able to operate handheld ticket devices, have knowledge of alarm systems
Licenses and Certificates:
- NJ driver's license, CPR, AED, First Aid certifications
- Vision and hearing abilities-often; heavy lifting, carrying, etc-sometimes; extensive standing, walking-often, exposure to all weather conditions-often
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Shift: Friday-Tuesday 2PM-11PM
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend