Special Collections Assistant
Job no: 493247
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Special Collections Assistant is responsible for a large number of varied projects within the department. Primarily responsible for assisting patrons and researchers in person or on e-mail or over the phone, and assisting in the smooth operation of the Archives & Special Collections (A&SP) Center, particularly in the operation of the reading room.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Primarily responsible for assisting patrons and researchers in person or via email or phone, and assisting in the smooth operation of the Archives & Special Collections Center, particularly in the operation of the reading room and in providing office support in the form of phone inquiries, assisting and directing visitors, maintaining office and researcher files, placing supply orders, maintaining vendor files, directing or answering patron inquiries, setting up research appointments and maintaining calendar, maintaining conference room schedule, assisting researchers in filling out forms, monitoring research room and ensuring compliance with researcher and reading room policies, assisting with sacramental record requests, conducting research for family history requests, directing researchers to ready reference materials and other appropriate resources or to appropriate department member.
- Data entry for archival or research-related materials, processing tasks under direction of A&SP Technical Services Head, retrieving and replacing archival and special collections materials, creation of file inventories and finding aids under supervision of A&SP Technical Services Head, assisting University Archivist with research requests as needed.
- Assist with departmental initiatives as appropriate: collection shifting, inventories, planning of services, etc. Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in open field of study, History preferred;
- 1-3 years related work experience;
- Very detail-oriented; proficiency with Microsoft Office, particularly Word and Excel; proficiency with general office equipment, including Microform equipment, computers, scanner, copier, printer.
- Work experience in archives, library, special collections, or museum environment preferred; experience with archival or library research preferred; archivist toolkit preferred; work experience in archives, library, special collections, or museum environment preferred; experience with archival or library research preferred; familiarity with Newark and the Archdiocese and surrounding areas preferred; a demonstrated ability to develop Special Collections skills strongly preferred.
- General office environment
- Regular exposure to dusty and deteriorating materials as well as regular lifting of boxes up to 40 pounds.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- This is a Local 153 position; only Local 153 members may apply from 02/05/2018 to 02/09/2018.
- Please provide contact information for 3 additional references.
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend