Standardized Patient Educator
Job no: 493240
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Standardized Patient Educator will primarily be responsible for training of Standardized Patients (SPs) under the supervision of the Director of Clinical Skills. This individual will be responsible for leading the recruitment, training and coordination of a team of SPs and will work with faculty members to ensure that the training provided to SPs meet the specific needs of the educational program. In addition to working with SPs, the Standardized Patient Educator will assist in other aspects of the clinical skills curriculum, including quality assurance, development of cases and training materials, high fidelity simulations and use of task trainers. The educator will work closely in a collaborative relationship with SPs, faculty, learners , staff, and SOM leadership in teaching, assessing and remediating clinical skills in our new state of the art simulation center on our health professions campus. The successful candidate will be involved in the development and implementation of an innovative curriculum at a new School of Medicine.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supports the development, implementation, monitoring, and enhancement of operational elements of the clinical skills curriculum.
- Develops a recruitment, training and supervision plan for Standardized Patients including developing and implementing strategies to address SP performance issues
- Develops and maintains SP Database. Designs, implements, enforces and maintains SP policies, procedures, guidelines that meet institutional goals and standards.
- Provides training to standardized patients to include but not limited to feedback training, best practices for SP Education, current training techniques, and quality control procedure
- Coordinates, manages, and supervises teaching and assessment activities for learners that support integration into discipline specific curriculum. Including designing cases in accordance with programmatic and session objectives, development of training materials for SPs, development of case checklists and strategies to ensure quality of educational sessions prior to implementation
- Recruit interview and retain a diverse team of standardized patients for purposes of assessment and training for instructional, formative and summative educational programs.
- Assist in ensuring implementation, adherence, monitoring, and continuous improvement of all policies and procedures related to the curriculum, including those regarding safety and operations.
- Maintains proficiency in existing and emerging trends in the use of Standardized Patients in medical education including basic theory, design and implementation, by maintaining a literature base, evaluating new methods and materials, and participating in education opportunities
- Collaborate with basic science and clinical faculty to promote the use of simulation including standardized patients, high fidelity simulation and task trainers within their curricula, Collaborates in scholarly activity related to simulation and SP methodology
- Bachelor's Degree plus four years of experience in an education/training environment and/or clinical/health environment are required.
- Experience with use of Standardized Patients in medical education curricula
- Experience in coaching, training or teaching.
- Familiarity with teaching and assessment methods and technologies involved in the use of Standardized Patients
- Excellent communication, administration, and leadership skills.
- Effective interpersonal, organizational and planning, team-building, and problem-solving skills.
- Proficient with database management and creating report.
- Experience in case design and development, implementation and assessment methodology.
- Medical terminology and knowledge of basic non-invasive diagnostic equipment as well as a general understanding of basic physical examination.
- Master’s Degree or Clinical credentials (EMT, RN, NP, PA)
- Demonstrated flexibility in establishing new programs from the ground up or other endeavor requiring adaptability.
- General Office Environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend