Public Safety Officer - Bicycle Patrol
Job no: 493055
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
The Public Safety officer’s primary purpose is to protect life and property. This is accomplished through a variety of tasks including: preventive patrol, reporting suspicious persons/activities, reporting unsafe conditions, providing transportation to students and the enforcement of University’s rules and regulations. Regulate pedestrian and vehicular traffic and provide a security presence for dignitary visits, special events, and sporting events. They complete written reports on all security related matters and provide information and assistance to students, staff and the general public. Finally they assist South Orange Police, Fire, and Rescue Squad when necessary or as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct patrols of the parking deck, surface parking lots, University grounds, surrounding streets, neighborhoods, and all off-site University locations.
- Lock/Unlock buildings according to daily operation schedule.
- Operate our safe ride transportation vehicles
- Perform Fire Extinguisher Inspections
Control vehicular access to the campus by:
- Enforcing regulations requiring parking permits and or parking guest passes.
- Identification and/or the removal from campus of all unauthorized vehicles.
Create and maintain all departmental detailed documentation for reporting and investigative purposes, including:
- Complete departmental incident report
- Calls for service: escorts, jump starts, and lock outs
- Complete motor vehicle accident report
- Generate property reports
- Complete work orders that identify safety concerns in need of attention from the Facility Engineering staff.
Public Safety is the 1st responder to all emergency calls occurring on campus, including but not limited to:
- Medical emergencies (provide CPR, AED, and First Aid)
- Fire alarms
- Bomb Threats
- Intrusion alarms
Customer service by:
- Providing directions
- Escorts/Transportation – on and off campus
- Vehicular jump starts
- Vehicle lockouts
Provide security services at all visits of dignitaries, special events and sporting contests by:
- Direct and control vehicular/pedestrian traffic.
- Perform package inspections.
- Maintain crowd control.
High School Diploma or GED. 1-3 years of relevant work experience. Relevant work experience may include experience in public safety, military, police or criminal justice coursework. Must be able to operate a 14 passenger vehicle. Required to ride a bicycle for 8 hour shift.
- Community policing course, CPR, AED, First Aid certification, basic computer skills, have knowledge of alarm systems, the ability to write a clear and concise report, be able to clearly communicate directions, instructions, as well as work well under pressure.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Valid New Jersey driver's license required with a good driving record.
- Vision and hearing abilities-often; heavy lifting, carrying, etc.-sometimes; extensive standing, walking, etc-often; exposure to all weather conditions-often; exposure to hazardous materials-rarely
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend