Art Director - RePost
Job no: 492642
Full time/Part time: Full-time
Location: South Orange
Working under the direction of the director of publications/university editor, the art director will conceive and create compelling, sophisticated materials to tell the Seton Hall story and engage the university's alumni, donors, students, employees and friends.
The art director is responsible for conceptualizing, designing and producing high-profile marketing materials, advertisements and publications for Seton Hall University, including the award-winning Seton Hall magazine as well as key projects for a variety of constituents including the Office of the President, Development, Alumni Relations, Admissions and the individual Schools and Colleges.
The art director also provides the vision for photography and directs the university's photography efforts by overseeing image assets, arranging and art directing high-profile photo shoots, maintaining photographic archives and serving as photo editor. These photo assets are used for print and digital communications including emails and the Seton Hall website among other venues.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Oversee the design, layout and production of Seton Hall alumni magazine.
- Act as the liaison between Seton Hall and the magazine printer. Select photographers, then set up and manage photoshoots.
- Serve as photo editor.
- Hire, manage and coordinate assignments with freelance designers who may assist with magazine production.
- Archive all materials and format materials for the Web.
Create well-developed and strategic creative solutions for various types of projects, and execute those ideas completely—from conception and design through to production.
- Projects may include (but are not limited to) advertisements, brochures, newsletters, magazines, web pages, emails and other digital assets.
Help define, solidify and refine Seton Hall's brand and visual identity among key audiences.
- Evaluate, update and maintain the University's brand through its graphic and visual identity on an ongoing basis.
- Ensure the execution of a thoughtful and consistent creative strategy across multiple platforms and throughout the breadth of the university's marketing materials.
- Conceptualize and produce high-impact image advertising and provide design/image input on key enrollment advertising and materials.
- Design and produce compelling visual materials for high-profile university initiatives. The art director is typically involved in the design of high-impact projects for the university, including such things as image advertising and important or broad-scale advertising campaigns, important fundraising projects for University Advancement including capital campaign materials, True Blue and specific annual fundraising initiatives, key projects for admissions, individual schools and colleges, and the Office of the President, etc.
Oversee the University's photographic assets/photography function
- Arrange and art direct high-profile photoshoots for a variety of internal clients. (These images are used in both digital and print communications as well as the University website.)
- Improve and extend the capabilities of the University's photo archive by fulfilling ongoing requests for University photos and other materials.
- Manage the university's photographic archives.
- Bachelor's degree in Graphic design or fine arts with approximately 8 or more years of design experience or other related experience.
- Master's degree in Graphic design or fine arts (12-15 years of experience in the field may substitute for a Master's degree.)
- Extensive prior art director and/or creative director experience is essential for this position.
- Outstanding, expert-level understanding of design, including typography, layout, color theory, page composition.
- Significant experience in magazine design;
- Advanced knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop);
- Proven experience taking ideas from concept to delivery;
- Knowledge of production processes and requirements;
- Ability to do computer retouching and image manipulation;
- Excellent organizational skills and a positive, collegial attitude with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative relationships with a wide variety of colleagues
- Capable of effectively wearing many hats—managing multiple projects, under tight deadlines;
- Self-motivated with strong attention to detail and excellent follow through;
- Strong collaboration, problem-solving and decision-making skills;
- An understanding of digital design and HTML as well as experience in web publishing.
- General office environment
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- Previous applicants need not apply.
- The person in this position is required to perform his or her duties at all Seton Hall University locations and facilities, as assigned.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend